Monday, 16 January 2012

Review: Charles Worthington Salon At Home Shine Booster



I love having long hair, but one of the downsides is that fact that the longer (and therefore older) the hair, the duller it tends to look. So I jumped at the chance to review one of the sets from the Charles Worthington 'Salon at Home' range - Shine Booster, which promises to give gorgeous shiny hair and boost colour radiance.




The set consists of three steps. Step 1 is a Shine Glaze, which you apply to dry hair, pop on a plastic shower cap (deeply attractive) and leave to do its thing for about 10 minutes before rinsing with warm water. I struggled to fit all my hair under the cap, so a slightly bigger one would have been good, but my hair is a ridiculous length and, to be fair, I've got a big head. Since my roots tend to get greasy quite quickly, I concentrated on the mid-lengths and ends, which is where my hair needs the most help anyway.


Step 2 is a Shine Boosting Shampoo, which worked well to rinse out the Shine Glaze so my hair didn't feel too heavy. They suggest a second lathering if you have fine or greasy hair, but I didn't feel my hair needed this.  


Step 3 is the Shine Boosting Conditioner, which you leave on for 2 minutes before rinsing. A cold water rinse is suggested to boost shine even more, but I am far too much of a wimp to actually do this (does anyone?)


I was quite happy with the results. It definitely left my hair feeling a lot smoother and sleeker than it does after a normal wash and condition. It looked naturally shinier too. I usually end up loading my hair up with serums and shine spray to get it looking shiny, but the photos below are just using a bit of heat protective spray, then blow-drying over a paddle brush. I didn't feel my hair got greasy any more quickly than usual, which is a big bonus for me, as a lot of intensive conditioners leave it feeling limp and weighed down. 




Strange angles, but hopefully you can see the shine. Not bad for hair that hasn't been near a hairdresser for about five months and is due for a colour!


Unfortunately, the effects didn't really last beyond the next wash on me. I think this is best suited to giving your hair a bit of a boost for a special occasion or big night out, rather than if you are looking for something that will change the look of your hair more permanently. 


Priced at £19.99 from Boots, the set includes 4 treatments. It is expensive, there's no getting away from that, but it definitely works out cheaper than similar treatments at a salon. I won't get more than 3 treatments out of it, but anyone with normal length hair would get at least 4 or more from the pack. 


For more information, visit the website


* PR sample provided for review

4 comments:

  1. I have on occasion cold rinsed my hair (!) it does give it a nice shine but i'm not sure its worth it haha! this sounds lie a good product for special nights out so i may give it a go!!

    emmylou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely hair..Seriously your hair look more gorgeous...Awesome to see..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair look more silky and shiny.The straighten also more suits for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and will always answer if you want to ask me any questions! x